Dear Old Farm Swim and Paddle Members:
The ANNUAL MEETING of the Old Farm Swim and Paddle Tennis Club will be held at 7:30 P.M. on Wednesday November 16, 2016, at the Farmland Elementary School Multipurpose Room. The Board of Directors encourages you to attend this important annual meeting.
There are three important issues on the November 16th agenda:
1. New Board of Directors Election
First is the election of new members to our Board of Directors. We urge you to participate using the electronic voting system described below. The nominating committee proposes the election and/or re-election of the following candidates to fill four Director vacancies and three Nominating Committee seats:
Slate of Candidates for the Board of Directors
- John Hudalla* – 3 year term to expire November 30, 2019
- Jen Cheney – 3 year term to expire November 30, 2019
- Lindsay Jauss – 3 year term to expire November 30, 2019
- Missy Maloney – 3 year term to expire November 30, 2019
*Current Board Member
Slate of Candidates for the 2017 Nominating Committee
- Marla Caplon**
- Pat May**
- Bruce Kay**
**Current member of Nominating Committee
Very shortly, all Continuing Members will receive an email message that will include instructions and a link to the website where you will vote for the slate of candidates recommended by the Nominating Committee. We ask that you please vote before the General Membership meeting.
2. Review of 2016 swim and paddle tennis season
Second on the agenda will be a review of the 2016 swim and paddle tennis season.
Georgetown Aquatics continued to provide us pool management and guard operations this season, and we received many compliments about the quality of our managers and staff as they enforced the pool rules. In particular, we are grateful for the good work of Mark Kibuuka, who managed the pool staff very effectively during the 2016 season. We intend to continue our relationship with Georgetown Aquatics in 2017.
In response to a referendum of the membership, the board voted to install pool water heaters in 2016. By all accounts, the heaters effectively took the edge off of the early season chill, so we had stable and comfortable water temperatures throughout the season. The board has set the water temperature such that the water is warm enough to be comfortable and refreshing, but not so warm that physical activities such as lap swimming are adversely affected.
In 2016, the board also procured a customized pool cover for off-season use which is now installed. The cover is intended to keep leaves and debris out of the pool during the off-season. Our intent is that this will make pre-season cleaning easier and more effective, because leaves have a tendency to stain the pool whitecoating when they sit in the water during the off-season. Because pre-season cleaning should be easier and less stressful to the whitecoating, we are expecting the cover will extend the life of our whitecoating. This is important, because replacement of the whitecoating is one of the most expensive periodic maintenance items incurred by the Club.
We additionally performed a comprehensive overhaul and upgrade of our platform tennis courts in 2016. This included resurfacing of both courts, lining both courts with platform tennis and pickleball regulation boundaries, replacement of all screens, and installation of locking snowboards.
During the 2016 season, we were privileged to have many new members join us, and we welcome them to our community. Although our financial situation remains stable, our overall membership numbers dropped slightly from 2015, which resulted in lower revenue for 2016. As a result of this revenue decline, the board deferred some planned capital improvements during 2016, thus maintaining our balanced budget for the year. The Board also continues to explore alternative ways of generating income. The final membership numbers for 2016 were as follows:
The Old Farm Swim and Dive Teams had great success in 2016. Our Swim Team won its division and will be competing in a higher division in 2017. Our coaching has been provided by the dynamic FINS Swimming program for the last four years, and the team’s ascent is directly attributable to FINS. We are currently renegotiating our contract with FINS for the 2017 season. The Dive Team had a huge uptick in participation and ended up having one of its best seasons in recent memory by finishing second overall in Division IV. The Board is in the process of searching for the dive team coaching staff for 2017.
During the 2016 season, we again had several special programs operating at Old Farm Pool:
- FINS Swimming provided swimming lessons
- Wet Yet? Fitness provided water aerobics
- Coach Dorrer provided triathlon training
- Tollefson Swimming provided masters swimming
We expect that all of these programs will be returning in the 2017 season.
The pool hosted the following social events in 2016:
- Annual Wine & Cheese Party
- Fourth of July Celebration (in conjunction with the Greater Farmland Civic Association)
- Numerous Friday Night Food Trucks
We also had planned to host a kickoff party before the beginning of the 2016 season, but it was canceled due to rain.
In 2016, the Club launched a pickleball-only membership for those who are not already full club members or paddle-tennis-only members. The pickleball-only membership has proven to be a great success, with 30 members joining.
The platform tennis season is set to commence on November 1 on our fully renovated courts. All are invited to play, and we hope to schedule beginner programs in the near future. Please watch for our e-mails.
3. Review potential capital improvement projects
Third on the agenda will be a discussion about the future capital projects and expenditures that are being considered by the Board. These projects include:
- Installing a pavilion on the north patio (near the grills) to replace the existing tent structure
- Baby pool replacement/enhancements
- Parking lot resurfacing/enlargement (to accommodate additional pickleball courts)
- Removal of sand volleyball court and potential installation of multi-sport surface.
These potential upgrades to the pool facilities are costly, but will provide improved services that we believe our members want. We will discuss these items as well as how to pay for them at the November General Membership meeting, so we ask that you attend and let us know what you think.
The Board has already approved the resurfacing of the diving boards and the replacement of the pool house roof for completion prior to the 2017 season. The roof replacement is being funded by insurance proceeds related to damage incurred from the May 2, 2016, hailstorm.
Finally, I would like to acknowledge and thank all members of the Board of Directors for volunteering countless hours during the 2016 season. I would especially like to thank Dave Ohlrich, Dan Rudolph, and Katie McDermott, who will be leaving the Board as of November 30, 2016. Here were the Board members’ areas of responsibility for the 2016 season.
- Buildings & Grounds: Rob Follit, Tom Walsh
- Dive Team: David Markert
- Guard Liaison: John Hudalla, Dave Ohlrich, Cindy Zelaya
- Long Range Planning: David Markert, Mike Morper
- Maintenance: Rob Follit, Scott Speier
- Membership: Amy Ruther, Tom Walsh
- Merchandise: Amantha Linkie, Cindy Zelaya
- Paddle Tennis, Pickleball: Scott Speier, Tom Walsh, Rob Follit
- Pool Operations: John Hudalla, Dave Ohlrich
- Social/Private Parties: Katie McDermott, Amantha Linkie, Scott Speier
- Special Programs (Masters/Water Aerobics): Cindy Zelaya, Amy Ruther
- Swim Team: Dan Rudolph, Amantha Linkie
- Technology and Website: Mike Morper
The officers of the Club for 2016 (as elected by the Board of Directors) were as follows:
- President: John Hudalla
- Vice President: Amantha Linkie
- Secretary: Dan Rudolph
- Treasurer: Rob Follit
I also would like to thank the following people for their contributions during the 2016 season:
- Swim Team A Reps: Dan & Jenn Rudolph
- Swim Team B Rep: Liz Hayes
- Dive Team Rep: Connie Jacobson
- Bookkeeper/Administrative Assistant to the Board: Shannon Dietrich
Thank you and we look forward to seeing you at the Annual Meeting!
John A. Hudalla
Old Farm Swim and Paddle Tennis Club, Inc.
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.