It’s almost here, the 2015 swim team season! Once again, we are very pleased to announce that FINS will be back at Old Farm and has hired a terrific team to coach the Eagles this summer. Leading the team will be Co-Head Coaches Danny Charlip and Barry Mangold with help from Assistant Coaches Mike Scott, Natsumi Horikawa and Coby Zucker.
There is lots of fun ahead for swimmers of all ages at Old Farm Pool! Below you will find a list of important dates for the summer as well as the Summer Practice Schedule.
Registration Night: Thursday, May 14th, 7:00-8:30pm at Farmland ES
Come see our coaches, FINS Director Nick Kaufman, and all your OFST friends. Register for swim/dive teams, and buy your team suit from Aardvark Swim and Sport. Have your kids try them on at registration night to make sure they fit. Our new suit will be the TYR Phoenix in Navy/Red/White available in both thick and thin straps. Check it out at http://www.tyr.com/shop/usa-water-polo-women-s-phoenix-diamondback.html
Preseason Fundraiser Dinner: Tuesday, May 5th, 5:00-9:00pm at California Tortilla
Join your Eagle friends for dinner at California Tortilla in the Cabin John Shopping Center (7727 Tuckerman Lane, Potomac, MD). Just say “GOOF” when you place your order and CalTort will donate 25% back to Old Farm Swim and Dive Teams.
2015 Swim Meet Schedule:
- June 6 Time Trials 1
- June 10 Time Trials 2 (B meet bye week)
- June 13 A meet AWAY vs. Norbeck Hills
- June 17 B meet HOME vs. Montgomery Square
- June 20 A meet AWAY vs. Kenmontt
- June 24 B meet AWAY vs. Eldwick
- June 27 A meet HOME vs. Clopper’s Mill
- June 28 A Relay Carnival at Kenmont
- July 1 B meet HOME vs. Inverness Forest
- July 3 FRIDAY A meet AWAY vs. Ashton
- July 7 Coaches Longcourse (invitational)
- July 8 B meet AWAY vs. Tally Ho
- July 11 A meet HOME vs. Poolesville
- July 14 Celine Silver Mini Meet at Tilden Woods
- July 18 Divisionals Championship, at Poolesville
- July 19 Swim and Dive Banquet at Farmland ES
- July 25 All-Star Relays (invitational)
- July 26 Individual All-Stars (invitational)
Remember, you can automagically have the Swim Meet Schedule synched to your own personal calendar (scroll down to the bottom and click on the Subscribe button).
Summer Practice Schedule:
AM Practices (starts June 16th):
Monday – Friday
- 11&ups — 8:50am to 10:15am (Stretches start at 8:50am)
- 10& unders – 10:05am to 11am (Stretches start at 10:05am)
- Pre Team & Little Eagles – 10:30am to 11am
PM Practices (starts May 26th):
- 11& ups – 4pm to 5:15pm
- 10&unders – 5:15pm to 6:15pm (stretches start at 5:15)
- Pre Team & Little Eagles – 4:45pm to 5:15pm
Pre-Team and Little Eagles Programs
Registration for the Pre-Team and Little Eagles Programs will not be accepted until after the pool has opened. Those swimmers interested in the Pre-Team and Little Eagles Programs can sign up for an assessment session on Registration Night or online via Signup Genius but will be able to register only after an assessment has been conducted.
This year, in order to maintain a safe environment and to ensure quality instruction for our youngest swimmers, assessments will be conducted on all swimmers interested in the Pre-Team and Little Eagles Programs prior to registration. Assessment sessions will be held June 1st-5th. Each swimmer should sign up for one assessment slot. During assessments, swimmers will be evaluated by the coaching staff to determine the appropriate group placement based on the criteria for each of the programs (see program descriptions below). Coaches will make swimmer placement recommendations by 6/5/15. Practices for both LE/PT will begin on 6/8.
In order to reduce the size of instruction groups and to minimize closures of the shallow section during the busy afternoon hours, Little Eagles afternoons will meet twice a week—either Monday/Thursday or Tuesday/Friday (date swaps cannot be accommodated). Little Eagles morning swimmers will have access to practice five days per week. Groups will be limited to 12 swimmers per session. The registration fee for both programs (a.m. and p.m.) will be the same as it is for swim team. Minimum requirements for participation are:
- Age 4 or older and fully toilet trained
- Comfortable putting face into the water and blowing bubbles.
- Comfortable in the pool under the supervision of OF coaches and in a group environment
The Pre-Team will meet 4/5 times per week (depending on B meets) in either the afternoon or morning. Swimmers need to commit to either the morning or afternoon sessions. The Pre-Team groups will be limited to 14 swimmers per session. Minimum requirements for participation are:
- Must be able to swim the length of the diving well unassisted and have the stamina to do so a few times in a row under coach supervision.
- Must have a general understanding of freestyle and are familiar with the basic components of the stroke
**Please note: During Pre-Team and Little Eagles practices, parents are invited to watch from a distance. The coaches need space to work with the children without parents immediately next to the swimmers. If you feel that your child is not ready to participate in practice without your encouragement, they are probably not ready for these programs. Private and group lessons are available from FINS for those swimmers needing a little more attention.
Leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.